Rogers Park was named after its contributer G.D. Rogers. During the days of segregation, the property that is now home to Rogers Park Golf Course was the only park for the African American community in Tampa. After church on Sundays, many families would come spend the day on the swings, slides, baseball diamond and picnic area.
Rogers Park Golf Club was born in 1952, after Mayor Curtis Hixon gave permission to a group of caddies from Palma Ceia (seea) CC to build a nine-hole golf course. The first Head Golf Professional, Willie Black, directed a group of volunteers to remove the trees and shape the land, all of which was done by hand.
In 1976, the City of Tampa gave management rights to the then-newly formed Tampa Sports Authority. Once the Authority took the course over, a $400,000 renovation project began that included a new irrigation system installation and expansion to another city-owned property across the street.
In 2000, the Authority renovated the course again by replacing the nearly 30-year-old irrigation system, rebuilding the greens to USGA specifications, landscaping and reshaping holes. In 2001, a new maintenance compound was completed, and in 2002, a new clubhouse was built.